Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Yamaha RX Cylinder Head Grooving || For mileage and less emission ||

Hello RX Fans,

This is the first of my posts for Hard Core 2 Stroker fans who are trying to preserve the EARTH n The Environment while still riding their 2 Stroke motorcycles.

I own the iconic Yamaha RXZ, 1997 model, 4 speed (Indian) version and the Bajaj Classic (Chetak) 1997 model. In my bid to save my 2 Strokes from the axe that comes in the form of emission norms, I tried out the Somender Singh Grooves. Amazingly my 17 year old scooter started giving me a mileage of 55KMPL, easy start and reduced cleaning of spark plugs. There was a visible difference in the exhaust emissions too.

Now, I had postponed this on my Yamaha RXZ since I didn't want to meddle with the performance settings and was not much concerned about the mileage anyway. However, I was so sad seeing the WHITE SMOKE (despite getting the best of oil pump settings and additives to my petrol) whenever I was raising the throttle. So I had to go back to what I did to my Bajaj Classic

Here are the pics that I post here to help any Yamaha RX fan to follow suit.


  • Remove the fuel tank and then the cylinder head
  • Remove the spark plug
  • Clean the SQUISH AREA by removing the carbon and oil deposits in it
  • There are 11 fins (through which air passes to cool the cylinder head) 
  • Choose the 6th fin (from the taller side of the cylinder head which  actually points towards the exhaust pipe outlet) and find the spot that is straight to the MID LINE of the sixth fin all the way upto the SQUISH AREA in the cylinder head
  • Make a mark with a sharp object and use a triangular file (small size) to create a groove as shown in the picture below




  • Do the same on the opposite side of the cylinder head in the squish area i..e., towards the tapering side
  • Clean the squish area again and make it free of any aluminium alloy particles that would have come as a result of the grooving



  • Fix the cylinder head, the spark plug and the fuel tank
  • Try tuning the CARB anew as the AIR FUEL mixture and the COMPRESSION RATIOs and the TUMBLE FLOW characteristics would all be a little different now
  • Once you get the ideal setting, you would discover that the RPM can stay very low without shutting down
  • Also while riding you will find that the bike DOES NOT KNOCK even when you are riding in 15KMPH in 4th gear
Do reach me for details at flyingscooter@rediffmail.com should you need my guidance in this regard

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Jean Walter,
Congratulations on this interesting blog, Once even I was interested in SOMINDER uncle's GROOVY thing, due to some obvious reasons I couldn't concentrate on the Physics involved in this...Thanks for sharing !!
Will catch up with you soon
Cheers!!
Muthu Kumar Kanakachalam
COIMBATORE

Unknown said...

Hi,
Jean walter, did you just made a groove without shaving the head surface, if yes, then, what's the use of making a groove without increasing the compression ratio.
Without increasing the CR, There would be no increase in power, except The low end grunt or power.
Please do us explain the total procedure .